Thursday, March 7, 2013

Same-Sex Attraction (SSA)

To start off, I would like to clarify that there is a difference between being 'gay' and being attracted to someone of the same sex.  Many people use the terms interchangeably, but for the purposes of this blog, I will be using them in the sense of having an attraction to someone of the same gender as yourself, unless I specify otherwise.  Also, I don't mean to potentially offend or degrade anyone by abbreviating 'same-sex attraction' - it is just really long.  I would also like to clarify that the LDS Church is not opposed to those with SSA.
Here are a few links that I feel are very helpful to better understand how the LDS Church views such attraction, and you might be surprised with what you find.  The first link is to a YouTube video, posted by a member of the LDS Church.  In his video, he uses the term 'gay', but in his context, he is talking about SSA.  The second link is to a talk that I really like.  It is by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, and I find it to be very beneficial to understanding SSA.  It is a little long, but it is very well written.  Last is a website, compiling articles on this topic.  
  1. "For Mormons & Gays" (YouTube)
  2. "Same Gender Attraction" - Elder Dallin H. Oaks
  3. www.mormonsandgays.org

No comments:

Post a Comment